Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bad Teacher (2011)

Bad Teacher (2011)
Director: Jake Kasdan
Screenplay: Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky
Starring: Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel, Lucy Punch, Phyllis Smith, John Michael Higgins, Molly Shannon, Eric Stonestreet

One-sentence summary: Elizabeth Halsey is a teacher concerned only with marrying the richest man she can get her hands on, and soon decides to try to figure out ways to earn even more money to get a boob job (which will in turn attract potential suitors).

Review: When it comes to comedy films, sometimes you have to let things slide for the sake of allowing the humor to come through. I would say that Bad Teacher is one of those movies, but the problem here is that Bad Teacher isn't really that funny. I'm not sure I had a single laugh-out-loud moment the entire film, even with the great cast the movie has.

This isn't to say it's a completely terrible movie. I've certainly seen worser movies, and I'd sooner decide to watch Bad Teacher again than watch lesser films. I think that's an interesting conclusion to arrive at. Bad Teacher isn't funny, but it's got some sort of strange charm to it that keeps you watching. In that way, I guess it's sort of the perfect movie to put on at a party or a get-together with friends but then forget about as you start up conversations about topics completely unrelated to the film.

This isn't a movie about Elizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) coming to some sort of life-changing epiphany. It's not about her coming to see the error of her ways. Nope, it's very one note: Elizabeth cares just about herself and her needs, but she's not really repulsive for it. I'm going to attribute that to Cameron Diaz's charm. I guess I've got to admit that I'm still wondering why she ends up with Russell Gettis (Jason Segel) in the end because it sort of goes against her character, but whatever.

Final word: Bad Teacher is a little bland but for some reason it never really feel like you're wasting your time watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment